The Ultimate Brussels Sprouts Recipe
If the festivities have left you feeling less than sproutly, we’ve got the perfect, easy side dish for you. This is a fantastic way to use up the last few Christmas sprouts, and perfect for those who aren’t usually keen on this seasonal veg.
Time: 25 minutes
Total Servings: 4
- 1 bag of brussels sprouts, around 400g
- 6 slices of bacon, or vegan bacon, cut into thin strips (around 1.5cm)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup oat or cows milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese (or vegan alternative)
- ½ cup of gouda (or vegan alternative)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Prep your sprouts, then boil for around 6 minutes, until they have started to soften. Drain, then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp butter in a large frying pan, add in your diced bacon or vegan bacon bits, and fry until crisp. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute. Set the mixture aside and use the same frying pan for the cheese sauce.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter to the frying pan, then slowly add in the sieved flour, stirring constantly. Slowly add in the milk bit by bit until the sauce is combined. Add the cheese, and heat through until the cheese is melted and the sauce is combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour your sprouts into a heatproof dish, then tip in the bacon and stir to combine. Pour over your cheese sauce, and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees celsius until the top is starting to brown.
Let us know in the comments if this dish has a place at your Christmas table!